12 ounces surimi
1/4 cup kewpie mayonnaise
Optional (for spicy sushi crab mix):
2 tablespoons sriracha (for spicy sushi crab mix)
For crab mix sushi roll:
2 cups cooked seasoned sushi rice
4 nori sheets
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1/2 cup English cucumber, julienned
1/4 cup scallions, julienned
1/4 cup white and black sesame seeds
- For the sushi crab mix, cut the imitation crab meat sticks into small pieces, then transfer to a food processor or chopper and pulse until fine. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add kewpie mayonnaise. Stir to combine well. Taste and adjust a pinch of salt or sugar to season to your liking. If you’re making spicy sushi crab mix, add sriracha and combine again.
- To build a homemade sushi roll with the crab mix, cover a bamboo sushi mat with a sheet of plastic wrap and lay your sheet of nori over the mat, shiny side down.
- Dip your finger tips in water so they are a little damp, then spread about 1/2 cup rice over the nori sheet into a thin layer. Sprinkle the rice lightly with sesame seeds.
- Cover the top of the rice and sesame seeds with a second sheet of plastic cling wrap, then flip the nori over, so the rice and sesame seeds are on top of the plastic wrap and the rough side of the green nori is facing up. Remove the top sheet of plastic.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup sushi crab mix on top of the nori sheet in an even line about 1/2 inch from the edge of the nori seaweed. Add sliced avocado, julienned cucumber and scallions. Using the bamboo mat, roll the sushi closed firmly, but not so tight as to force out the filling. Slice the sushi into even pieces, wiping your knife after each slice to keep the cuts clean.
- Serve with spicy mayo sauce.
Imitation crab sticks works well in this recipe, as does flake style and chunk style surimi.
I love serving this recipe over slices of cucumber as a low-carb snack or appetizer, in sushi rolls, on crispy sushi rice squares, or in a deconstructed sushi bowl with strips of seaweed sheets.
Be sure to use short grain rice (like sushi rice) in this recipe. I wouldn’t recommend basmati, jasmine rice or any other kind of long grain rice.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Easy Recipes
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American/Asian
Keywords: Sushi Crab Mix, sushi crab, California roll, how to make sushi crab mix